Saturday, January 24, 2015

A Latin America Food and Marquez Feast: Group Two




I held my second Books & Bakes literary and food salon last night with another ten people. Mirtha made her Latin menu again, and I baked a red wine chocolate cake with a red wine chocolate glaze. I think the night went really well -- so interesting how different the two groups were and how different the conversation and discussion. This group was a mix of close friends, people I don't see very often but whom I really like, my friend Sally from San Francisco, and a woman whom I'd never met who found the salon through my blog! I felt so privileged to be in all their company and grateful that this small dream came true. I can't wait until next month when we'll be discussing Monique Truong's novel The Book of Salt and eating, probably, a combination of French and Vietnamese food. Although it's quickly filling up, I still have some spots in both groups on February 13th and February 27th, so email me if you're interested!

Interesting fact: The Book of Salt is a novel about a Vietnamese chef who works for Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas. When I originally envisioned this salon, I fancied/dreamt of a bohemian type thing with women and men and artists and writers and musicians and thinkers and cooks who come and go. I've always fantasized about being a sort of Gertrude Stein with a monolithic head (physically, not figuratively) and body, married to a small woman who adores me. Ha! So weird that I picked that book and it's about them! I guess there are no accidents.

Another Interesting fact: Monique Truong worked on the manuscript of her book while a resident at Hedgebrook, the place that awarded me a residency in June! I only learned that when I read through her acknowledgements. What are the chances? I think that's a good omen, no?

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lively and lovely evening. I'm glad that these dreams- salons, and Hedgebrook - are coming true. Who knows what other dreams will follow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is ALL good, my dear.
    You continue to amaze AND delight me. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is a wondrous thing to witness someone discover a thing she was born to do. thinking about your salon gives me chills, the most inspired kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great! If I were in the area I would absolutely sign up. (Don't you want to take this on the road? Austin is lovely this time of year--some days.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know for a fact your friend Sally had an excellent time and wants you to bring this show to San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad it was such an enjoyable evening full of great food and great conversation... wish I could have been there :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like an interesting book! I can't wait to hear what you think about it. I might like to give it a read myself. Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas were certainly a fascinating pair, but I could never make heads nor tails of Stein's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will you be doing these salons in March?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...